Godwin AJOM, Calabar
About six kidnappers, some of who were said to be behind the kidnap of a student of the Arthur Jarvis University , Akpabuyo Local Government Area of the Cross River State have been killed by policemen.
The student was kidnapped about two weekend ago. Since then, the police have been on the trail of the kidnappers and their efforts paid off when they located their hideout and engaged them in a gun battle.
It was gathered that the police team, led by a superintendent of police, overpowered the suspects, killing five on the spot, while the 6th suspect later died at the weekend as a result of gun shot injuries sustained during the gun battle.
Security sources said the breakthrough was possible with the support of the Chancellor of the University, Arthur Jarvis. The police source said the chancellor “stayed up from day one till his student was rescued, I have never seen the kind of a man, he went with us to all the creeks , he did not sleep since Tuesday when the incident happened, the only thing he needs is support , an atmosphere that is friendly.
“They however made a mistake to have chosen the grounds of Arthur Jarvis University, because the chancellor and founder is father, he never rested. He would call, come out through the midnight; he was awake with many of us.
“His passion for the freedom of his student was an amazing level of humanity iv never seen before , I was motivated to go the extra miles and , we got the breakthrough.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Irene Ugbo confirmed that the six suspects were killed during a shoot out with the crack team that “smoked them out”.
“Remember we warned earlier that any criminal in the state should leave Cross River. We have moved to the next stage, we are going after the criminals very hard this time; no more warning, enough is enough.
“We want to assure law abiding citizens to go about their lawful activities, we urge them to always share information with us , because security is everybody’s business,” she said.
The chancellor on the issue said “we were billed to close by Friday last week, before the incident happened , so the news making the rounds on some media platforms that we are closed indefinitely is absolutely false.
“We want to assure every parent and ward that the safety our their children, our students is key as we take the well-being and welfare of every student seriously and apart from the discrete measures we have taken to forestall further occurrence of such security breach ,we guarantee that nothing of such will ever happen again.”