EXCLUSIVE

PH Ring Road May Suffer K-Leg As Julius Berger Plans To Stop Work

Indications emerged on Saturday, that construction giants, Julius Berger may suspend the ongoing construction work on the Port Harcourt ring road from this weekend, for reasons connected to finances.

The road is a 50.15 km project designed to connect several local government areas and includes 45 km of dual carriageway, 4.8 km of flyovers and a 350 m river crossing bridge.

The project will span six local government areas of the state, including Port Harcourt, Okrika, Eleme, Echie, Ikwerre and Obia-Akpor.

During the contract signing, the suspended governor, Sim Fubara had said that out of the N195.3billon contract sum for the project, the state government would pay 77 per cent, totalling about N150billion and also assured that the balance would be paid once it is confirmed that the company has executed 75 per cent of the job.

It is not clear what percentage of work must have been done so far. But since the democratically elected governor is no more on seat, the sole administrator is not known to have visited the project site.

It is also not clear if any other payment has been made to the company. But one of the engineers supervising the project told TNN on Saturday that the company would down tools at the close of work on Saturday.

He did not say when work would resume. But he hinted that the suspension of work may have been connected with finances. He did not give details, but noted that the company needed to get more money from the government.

Senior Special Assistant, Media, to the sole administrator, Hector Igbikiowubo, could not be reached as at press time on Saturday. While messages sent to his Whatsapp were not delivered, calls to his phone were not successful, as his phone was said not to be reachable.

Add a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may have missed