
A new update has emerged from the tragic incident of the abduction of teachers and toddlers from schools in Oyo State, western Nigeria.
Eight days ago, suspected terrorists kidnapped schoolchildren and teachers from three schools in Esinele, Yamota and Alawusa towns in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
Since then, parents and relatives of the victims have been traumatised, living in fears over the whereabouts of their loved ones.
However, there is hope as the abductors have now opened negotiations with the Oyo State government demanding direct talks with the state governor.
Impeccable sources say the hoodlums refused to speak directly with the families of the victims.
“They said they only want to talk to the governor and nobody else. That was the condition they gave for negotiation. So, nobody knows the details and what they are demanding,” a source said.
It cannot, however, be confirmed if the negotiation is being done by the governor himself or a representative of the state.
But a top source said the communication channel was a relief.
“It is not that security agencies don’t know what to do. But the risks are too high. The relief is that at least now, they are talking,” the source said.
It was gathered that the demands of the terrorists were being kept discreet in order not to jeopardise the lives of the victims.
The Special Adviser to Governor Seyi Makinde on Security, Abayomi Fagbenro, declined to comment on the matter. “I can’t give any information at the moment,” he said.
Teachers and pupils, including toddlers aged two and three, were reportedly abducted in three schools last Friday.
The victims have now spent eight days in captivity.
Families and community leaders say their fears have increased as the rainy season sets in, which makes movement through forests and rough terrains increasingly difficult and dangerous for the captives.
Sources within affected communities told told our correspondent that the victims were being moved in thick forests and across states to evade security pressure.




