September 16, 2021

TNN Newspaper

a commitment to responsible journalism

Fire Wrecks Havoc In Rivers Community  

2 min read
Spread the love

Edith CHUKU

About hundred persons have been rendered homeless, with properties worth million destroyed, following a devastating fire outbreak that engulfed their residence at the Okwelle, (Soku waterfront) community in Mile 2, Diobu, Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

We Need Help, Father Of Fire Victims Cries Out

Though no life was lost, but most victims of the disaster lost their entire property in the fire inferno at the Rivers Waterfront Community. For some, all they can call property currently, is what they wore when they left their homes for work before the fire outbreak.

 

As at the time of this report, the cause of the fire was yet to be identified even as some residents believe that the fire was ignited by a candle light, while others stated otherwise.

Ohaneze To Assist Calabar Traders Affected By Fire Outbreak

The pathetic incident which was reported to have started around 6:00am today spared nothing, as all the makeshift houses in the area were burnt down completely.

 

The residents of Okwelle (Soku) waterfront community, while counting their loss, called on the state government to come to their aid.

Fire Outbreak Displaces Family Of Six In Rivers

The PHALGA security personnel were on ground to prevent hoodlums from looting properties that were brought out from the rooms by the owners. Also, Youths of the community were using water and detergent to put off the fire before the arrival of fire fighters.

Speaking in an interview, a member of PHALGA security service, Mr. Chukwuma Atamkpo, who was at the scene of the fire incident, explained that, “a female resident forgot to put off her candle which caused the fire and spread to other makeshift rooms.”

Another resident identified as Mr. Christain Alali said, “a resident forgot to put off his stove that later exploded and gut the makeshift building fire.”

Wike Under Fire For Donating N500M To Sokoto Govt

Two female residents lamented that they were at work when the fire started and on getting home their rooms had been razed completely by the fire, adding that they were not able to pick anything.

Unfortunately, Over 30 make shift rooms were completely razed, but, the fire has been put under control.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *