A few days after Dr Alex Egbona, the member representing the Abi/Yakurr Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives raised the alarm about attacks at him homes in the village and in Calabar, his first son, Vincent, was attacked on Saturday around Biase, on his way to the Ebonyi to pick the Rep member.
He was attacked by men on the convoy of the speaker of the state house of assembly, Mr Eteng William. Security operatives attached to the convoy of the speaker were said to have descended on Egbona’s pilot vehicle and beat up the younger Egbona before destroying the four tyres.
It was learnt that some persons in the convoy had identified the car as belonging to Egbona and started shouting ‘see them, see them, that is their car. It was at this point that the speaker’s men stopped and then descended on the occupants of Egbonar’s car, beating them up mercilessly before jumping back into their car.
When contacted on the phone, the speaker admitted that there was an incident involving his convoy, but noted that he did not know those affected. He added that what his boys told him was that the vehicle in question hit one of the cars in his convoy from behind, before they brushed the said vehicle.
He denied knowledge of his men attacking Egbona’s son and the other occupants of the vehicle. According to him, he was in front and had no knowledge of what transpired behind.
Already, Egbona’s son has reported the matter to the Biase police station. Egbona himself said he has called the police commissioner in the state to report the matter, while adding that he had called the speaker to find out why his men attacked his convoy.
The speaker is from the same local government as John Gaul, the immediate past speaker, who is currently battling to take over the constituency seat from Egbona in the House of Representatives. The battle has just moved to the appeal court.
Egbona has recently raised the alarm that his life had been under threat by people who have warned him not to challenge the decision of the election tribunal at the court of appeal. But the man has vowed to go ahead with the appeal.
Recall that last week, soldiers had invaded the country home of Egbona, even though the DPO in charge of Abi had explained that the Army commander and his men were on a regular patrol of his community and that they meant no harm.